Conversion rate is an important metric when it comes to the overall success of an eCommerce website. A conversion rate can be defined as the rate at which users interact with your website in a way that is valuable to your business. Some of these interactions can include a user adding a product to their cart, completing a transaction, signing up for a newsletter or mailing list, sharing a page on a social platform, and really anything that a business values as an indication of success. A normal conversion rate is somewhere between 1%-2%. This article discusses 8 ways you can increase your conversion rate.
- Use a heat mapping tool
- Heat mapping tools are great for getting a feel of how your users interact with your eCommerce site. Using a heat map, you can see where the majority of users put their cursors, which links they are clicking, and places they are and are not interacting with.
- Use Google Analytics
- Google Analytics is a great tool for looking at conversion rates. You can also see how users got to your website, how long they stayed on a certain page, whether they came back, the type of device and browser they were using, and much more. Google Analytics provides a lot of useful insight into your conversion rates and how they are being achieved.
- Sales and coupon codes
- Promoting sales and coupon codes on your website is a good way to get conversions.
- Offer free shipping
- Free shipping is something that many people have come to expect when it comes to eCommerce websites. Offering free shipping should see an increase in your conversion rate as users will be more likely to make a purchase.
- Update your website’s layout and landing pages
- A website with a confusing layout can greatly contribute to a bad conversion rate. When users have issues simply navigating a website, it is very unlikely that they will interact with the website further. If your website suffers from usability issues, then a cleaner, less-confusing layout should set it straight. Additionally, if your landing pages are not engaging, then your users will be much less likely to interact with the rest of the website. This is why it is imperative to display your business’s biggest selling points in an engaging manner and in a place on the website where it will be seen.
- Add high-quality graphics
- High quality graphics and images can make a world of difference when it comes to eCommerce websites. High quality product photos are much more likely to result in a conversion over product images that are too small or blurry. If the user can’t see what the product looks like, then you will have a tough time selling it to them.
- Use an “abandoned cart” plugin
- Abandoned cart plugins send a reminder email to users who have added products to their cart, but never completed the transaction. For more about abandoned cart emails, read our article on the subject here.
- Enable “check out as guest”
- Some users get turned off at the idea of registering for an account. As a result, enabling users to check out without registering for an account is a helpful feature to increase your conversion rate.
If you would like to learn more about how we can increase your conversion rate here at Beyond the Brand Media, feel free to give us a shout–we are always happy to help!